NAMI Act4 for Mental Health Priorities- 2016
Make your voice heard during 2016 campaign season
Who Is My Legislator?
NAMI-NYS Advocacy Toolkit
This toolkit contains the resources you need to become a more effective and educated advocate for the mental health community. You will find everything from basic information on the legislative process to NAMI-NYS issue fact sheets and more. We encourage you to download, print and share these tools with your community and your legislators.
The kit will help you best project your advocacy voice by:
- Detailing our advocacy agenda
- Explaining NAMI-NYS’s view of the Executive Budget proposal
- Providing strategies to have the most impactful legislative visits
- Speaking points on our issues
- Providing templates for Letters to the Editor on our key issues
- Information on how to engage in advocacy activities on social media
1. What is Advocacy? You can get involved
2. NAMI-NYS Public Policy Program Overview: We are here to help you
3. New York Facts & Figures: Mental health statistics for New York that you can use when advocating
5. Legislative Fact Sheet: Review state government structure
6. Legislative Process: How a bill becomes law in NY
2016 Legislation Action Agenda
At NAMI-NYS, we are continuously working to improve public policy for people with mental illness in New York. Our Public Policy Agenda includes many issues that aim to increase access to treatment and services, provide safe and affordable housing, and to repair and restore the mental health system in our state.